Tulsi rasam is a quick, home made solution for common cold and cough. Tulsi (basal) forms the base for this rasam. Most important of all, it tastes as good as the normal yummy rasam! Read on…
- Tulsi leaves – 1 handfull (Remove the stems, flowers, seeds. Retain only the leaves and rinse well in water)
- Tomato – 2 medium sized
- Rasam powder – 1 teaspoon full
- Garlic – 6 pods, crushed
- small (pearl) onions – 3 (peel the skin, and cut into small pieces)
- Coriander leaves – 1 bunch (cleaned, and cut into small pieces)
- Black pepper – 10 corns, crushed
- Ghee / Vegetable oil – 2 teaspoons
- Salt , Turmeric powder
- Cut the tomato in to pieces.
- Grind the tomato, tulsi leaves with water into a puree.
- Filter the puree. Retain only the filtered water.
- Add crushed garlic and cut onions to this water.
- Place a vessel on medium heat. Add ghee or vegetable oil.
- Add mustard seeds. Wait till they crackle.
- Add the filtered puree.
- Add a pinch of turmeric powder, salt and 1 tsp of rasam powder.
- When it starts foaming, add cut coriander leaves and crushed pepper corns.
This tulsi rasam makes a good soup, if served hot. It is also a tasty combination with rice. And, yes… it keeps the family healthy.
Image courtesy: http://collectivelyconscious.net